Kurtley Beale

  • 31 Age
  • 92kg Weight
  • 184cm Height
Kurtley Beale


Kurtley Beale overcame a challenging childhood to become one of Australia’s finest indigenous sportsmen. In 2000, at just eleven years of age, Beale was unearthed as a sporting prodigy by one of the great rugby nurseries, St Joseph’s College, Hunters Hill. Four years on and the school’s much heralded First XV coach Brother Anthony Boyd selected the then Year 10 student to play fly-half. Beale later wrote of that experience: “Making that First XV team at Joeys pretty much changed my whole mindset on life. It opened a lot of doors and I was becoming comfortable in my own skin. I found a little piece of my destiny, who I am and what I can be.” During that time Beale was also introduced to the man who went on to become his first manager, Glen Ella (Wallaby #621). Along the way, and at just 16 years of age, Beale signed with the NSW Waratahs. Within a year he was in his first Wallabies camp under coach John Connolly.

In 2007, Beale made his debut for New South Wales against The Lions at Ellis Park and later that year narrowly missed selection to Berrick Barnes for the Rugby World Cup in France. Two years on Beale was chosen for his first Wallaby tour and made his Test debut against Wales in Cardiff. Beale has since attended, and starred in two Rugby World Cups, and in 2011 he won the prestigious John Eales Medal. In 2017, Beale returned to Australian rugby from England in such a spectacular fashion that he finished runner up to Israel Folau for the John Eales Medal despite having missed half of the Test qualifying period.



Represented Australian Schools against Japan High Schools, Samoan U18s and New Zealand Schools. Beale was picked in the Australian Schools squad to tour the United Kingdom and Ireland where he played No. 10 in each of the four Tests.


Three years in the St Josephs’ First XV were crowned when Beale was named as captain of the 2006 Australian Schoolboys.


Selected in the Australian squad U20s for the second-annual IRB Junior World Championships in Japan. Beale won his first Test cap on the end-of-season Spring Tour, as a replacement winger for Drew Mitchell, against Wales at Cardiff.


Beale made his run-on debut at fullback against Fiji in Canberra and scored two tries. During the Tri Nations tournament he kicked Australia to an historic victory over South Africa in Bloemfontein with an 81st minute, 55 metre penalty goal to secure the Wallabies’ first Test win on the Highveld since 1963. Beale played in 13 of the year’s 15 Tests and finished the season with 10 caps as starting fullback. He won Rookie of the Year at the John Eales Medal.


As first choice Wallaby fullback, Beale played in 10 tests but was cruelly and crucially ruled out of the key Rugby World Cup semi-final against New Zealand due to a hamstring strain. Beale edged future Wallaby captains Stephen Moore and David Pocock to win the prestigious John Eales Medal.


He missed the opening three Tests of the season due to a shoulder injury suffered while playing for the Melbourne Rebels but went on to be capped in all of the remaining 12 Tests. Beale’s versatility was highlighted by the fact that he ended the season with seven successive caps as starting fly-half.


Beale’s international season lasted just three Tests after Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie advised him to undergo surgery on his still troublesome left shoulder.


He made a successful return from injury and played in the opening eight Tests of the season. When he kicked the third of his four penalty goals in the 12-12 draw with New Zealand in Sydney Beale became the twenty fifth Australian to score 100 Test match points. A well-publicised disciplinary issue saw Beale miss selection in the next four Tests before he returned to the match day 23 for the final two internationals against Ireland and England.


After not being selected for the opening Test of an abbreviated Rugby Championship, Beale won his 50th cap against Argentina in Mendoza and went on to play in the final 11 internationals of the season including all seven matches at the Rugby World Cup.


Beale signed with English club Wasps for the 2016/17 season.


In order to achieve his international rugby aspirations Beale returned home to play a starring role in the Rugby Championship. The undoubted highlight of the season was the sight of him proudly wearing the inaugural Indigenous Test jersey in the 3rd Test victory over New Zealand in Brisbane.


Beale underlined both his importance to the Wallaby squad and his versatility when he missed just one of the team’s 13 internationals. During the season Beale started at eight Tests at inside centre and three at fly half and finished three matches at fullback.